Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Math Rotations Part 1

This series is going to be about how I use math rotations in my math instruction. I have approximately an hour and 15 minutes for math. I start my block out with Calendar Math. A lot of teachers do not enjoy Calendar Math, especially in the upper grades, but I am a big fan! I love how it spirals and introduces so many new concepts. I feel like the 15 minutes spent on Calendar Math is 15 minutes well worth it! 

The other hour of my math block is math rotations. I no longer teach whole group math. One day, during guided reading, I was working with a lower group of readers then switched to a much more advanced group. I thought about how my students were similar in math-some get it quickly and others take more time. Hench, math rotations! Why teach to a fourth graders level if everyone isn't at that level. Honestly, when it comes down to it, not many of my kids are "average fourth graders". 

So, math rotations are born! I tried them for the first time two and a half years ago with no professional texts out there to help [at least that I could find]. So, I thought it out, crossed my fingers, closed my eyes, and jumped! Honestly, I will NEVER go back. Math rotations have SAVED my students!

I do 3-4 rotations, depending on what my students need. The length of my rotations depends on what the students needs. The focus of their minilesson is based on what the students need. Everything in math rotations is based on the students. What a concept, right? Usually, the rotations include time with me, computer time, and math games. If I add the fourth rotation, it is workbook practice. I will post a separate explanation of each rotation this week, so stayed tuned!

Happy  Monday Tuesday, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment