Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Math Rotations Part 2

Math rotations are wonderful, if you know your kids and their abilities. To jump start math rotations, I spent a good amount of time in data. At my school, we take the MAP test and a benchmark test three times a year. I get a good amount of data from these two assessments; however, most of my data comes from daily performance. I use standardized assessments to help guide a new unit, until I can see their ability level.

At the beginning, I broke my students up by our benchmark test we administer the first week of school. This assessment is a loooooooonnnngggg test that covers all standards taught in fourth grade. I look those over, give quick assessments (mainly on addition and subtraction), and form my groups. What's nice about math rotations is my groups are flexible. They are very irregularly the same group of kids. Every day, I break them up in a new way either based on homework (which I quick check), by the previous days performance, or by the previous week's assessment. We give a weekly assessment on our focus learning target. I always divide by ability, but that normally doesn't group the "low" or "high" kids separately, which is nice to see the different kids interacting.

Personally, three groups works best for me. That gives me approximately 15-20 minutes per group. Honestly, unless I set a timer, each rotation isn't the same amount of time. Sometimes, I don't even meet with each group every day. It's okay though! My kids are making leaps and bounds with this model! Some teachers keep in depth notebooks with all of these anecdotal notes about their kids performance. I thank the Lord that I have a good memory, because I don't like to spend time writing things down instead of helping students! So, I go with what I know and work from there.

Again, I love math rotations. I love the individualized time with the students. I love how much better my kids are at math as well. They love math rotations and are so engaged in authentic learning.

Stop by later to learn about my favorite rotation: Teacher Time or small group!

No comments:

Post a Comment